Friday Reading Round-Up

So what are we all reading?

I’ll kick off by saying that I’m thoroughly enjoying ‘Sister’ by Rosamund Lupton, and as a total contrast I’m also reading Luisa Plaja’s latest Young Adult book, ‘Kiss, Date, Love, Hate’ which is making me grin with girlish delight.

Gillian
I'm reading ‘Half Blood Blues’ by Esi Edugyan which was shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize 2011 -   I'm ploughing my way through the entire shortlist!
 
Helen
I'm reading ‘Weaveworld’ by Clive Barker to my kids. We've decide to keep reading aloud en famille, even though they're twelve. So we've moved on to the books on our shelves that my husband and I have enjoyed and which are (vaguely) appropriate...
 
Caroline R
I'm reading ‘Crusade Against Drink in Victorian England’ by Lilian Lewis Shiman. I just looked on Amazon to check the author's name and discovered that the book is listed in the category 'The Crusades'!

Caroline G
I’m reading ‘The Book of Human Skin’ by Michele Lovric, which is strange and very good. I thought it was going to be a bit heavy going when I started but am gripped now.

Fionnuala
I’m reading the local planning laws because the f*****rs are refusing our planning application! I’m also reading ‘Dead Good’ by DA Cooper - a YA book by an up and coming author - very much enjoying it!
 
Susie
I will lower the tone: I'm reading Alexander McCall Smith's 'A Confederacy of Friends', together with Jane Wenham-Jones' 'Wanna Be A Writer We've Heard Of?' (hah!). I've also been reading my novel through before it goes for typesetting.
 
Rod
I am reading ‘The Cambridge Companion to Feminism in Philosophy’. Edited by Miranda Fricker and Jennifer Hornsby.

If any of you have read/are reading any of the above, we’d love to hear your thoughts (we’d also LOVE to know what you’re reading right now too –  we’re a nosy bunch!) Happy weekend, Strictly Followers! :)

11 comments:

Helen Black said...

Debs, I really enjoyed Sister.
One of those books that you just wish you'd written.
HB x

Gillian McDade said...

I'm incredibly nosy and love to know what people are reading. More often than not, I've gone on to read what they're reading, even if it's not something I'd normally go for. I've uncovered some gems this way, even, dare I say it, some women's fiction books!

Luisa Plaja said...

Great to hear what everyone is reading! (And thank you for reading mine!)
I'm reading the latest Sarra Manning book, Nine Uses for an Ex-Boyfriend, at the moment.
I will buy those D A Cooper books very soon - they sound brilliant!

K M Kelly said...

Well I haven't read any of those, but as I've just finished reading 'Numbers' by Rachel Ward (stole it off my daughter) I'll be interested to see what you think of them because I've not yet decided what tor ead next :-)

Talli Roland said...

I love seeing what other people are reading! I just finished 'Me Before You' by Jojo Moyles. Incredible.

Caroline Green said...

Ooh I loved Numbers. And another vote here for the DA Cooper book!

Gillian, you know you're asking for trouble with dem words, don;t you? ;) ;)

Lindsay said...

The only one I've read is Sister, which I found a good read but was ultimately disappointed, but I won't say why as I don't want to spoil your read.

Caroline Green said...

Lindsay, so did I....

Debs Riccio said...

Oooh I saw the reviews of 'Sister' on the BBC Book Club thingy (Caroline Quentin and Dave Spikey?) and they were split too.. I have to say I've read the Questions at the back already and it's making me speed up to find out what twist is in store... and
Luisa, I've just got home and found Sarra Manning on my doorstep too - I LOVE her books *blush* with the D A Cooper thing - you lot! :)

Gillian McDade said...

One of the women's fic books I sampled, after seeing someone reading it, was Cuban Heels by Emily Barr.

Caroline Green said...

I really like her books. What did you think, G?